Noise Sentinel is a Web-based subscription service that provides continuous, real-time monitoring and compliance management. Audio playback for investigation and comprehensive reporting provides a traceable record of your regulatory compliance.
Originally developed to address industrial activities causing noise disruptions, it has gradually developed to include noise, ground vibration, dust, and air quality.
We make it simple for you
- We manage the entire system for you 24 hours a day
- We maximise your data completeness with monitoring and data recovery
- We look after all standards traceability so you can use the data to defend your position should you be challenged
- All equipment is removed and sites made good at the completion of the programme
- Our flexible service adapts to changes in the monitoring programmes, adding features and additional monitoring sites whenever necessary
- We are responsible and accountable for all types of measurement
We achieve this by providing everything you need to meet your monitoring obligations, including instrumentation, installation, operation, data capture, records management, calibration and fault rectification. The service is all-inclusive and even covers communication costs. Noise Sentinel is suitable for long-term ongoing use or in applications with a fixed duration such as construction, where at the completion of works we take everything away. As operation is automatic, you can access the data from anywhere over the Internet 24/7, freeing you to operate more effectively. You do not have to invest in technology, only in the data that you need, making you more cost-efficient.
- Up to 40% less capital investment up front than purchasing and operating your own system
- Certainty of cost throughout the lifetime of the monitoring programme
- 10% to 20% lower total cost of operation during the lifetime of the service compared to purchasing and operating your own system
Areas of application
Why is Noise Sentinel different?
Noise Sentinel differs from other noise measurement systems because it is a managed service. You purchase a subscription and we provide everything you need to accurately report your compliance. Your subscription includes:
- Instrumentation, installation, commissioning and testing
- Data collection, recovery, storage and processing
- Report generation and distribution
- Ongoing fault fixing, data collection checks, preventative maintenance and calibration
- Instrumentation recovery and data transfer at the conclusion of your subscription The Noise Sentinel managed service takes care of everything you need freeing you to concentrate on your core responsibilities.
How does it work?
Noise Sentinel operates using the latest cloud computing techniques. This provides a secure and scalable architecture that delivers the performance, reliability and accessibility required by our customers. Cloud computing also makes setup simple and reduces costs.
One or more Noise Monitoring Terminals (NMTs) are located at the facility being monitored. The number and location are often defined within environmental impact studies. Additionally, a system may comprise Vibration Monitoring Terminals and/or Dust and Air Quality Monitoring Units. Data are communicated from the monitoring units via a 3G mobile data connection to the Internet and then to Noise Sentinel in the cloud.
Noise Sentinel performs data integrity checking, storage, processing and then formats the results into reports and presentations.
Noise Sentinel can be accessed by the user from any Web browser. Access is available 24 hours a day, making Noise Sentinel usable by teams of people located in different geographical areas. Data are received in real-time and presented to users with only a few seconds’ delay.
The different elements of Noise Sentinel are targeted at different users:
- Real-time Control application: For on-site technical staff who are typically tasked with monitoring a wide range of environmental, security and operational equipment
- Noise Sentinel Client: Provides more detailed analysis of information for staff responsible for environmental impact analysis
- Stakeholder Web: Intended for corporate presentations, regulators, council officials and community members
- EMSOC Monitoring: The entire Noise Sentinel process is monitored by our global monitoring services and by regional service coordinators
Managing noise exceedance
Noise Sentinel enables you to manage operations in order to maintain compliance with any noise, vibration, dust or air quality restrictions. In operation, Noise Sentinel’s real-time noise control application displays a map of the surrounding area with the monitoring locations identified. Current levels are shown on the map in real-time at each location. If the measured reach defined levels, warnings and alerts are triggered indicating either that set levels have exceeded defined criteria, or will breach the criteria if they continues at the current levels.
In addition, Noise Sentinel may be configured to send alerts by e-mail, SMS or to an external warning signal giving one or more additional notifications in the event of an alert. Alerts can be investigated, sound recordings listened to and the causes documented by operators. The information about the exceedance is recorded within Noise Sentinel and included in the regular Noise Sentinel reports.